Title IX Discrimination and Harassment
About Title IX
Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 (“Title IX”) is a federal law that prohibits sex-based discrimination in all educational programs and activities, including athletic programs. No person shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any educational program or activity operated by the Santa Barbara County Education Office (SBCEO). Title IX protects all participants of SBCEO educational programs and activities, including students, parents, employees, and job applicants. SBCEO does not discriminate on the basis of sex. Discrimination on the basis of sex can include sexual harassment and sexual violence.
In addition to Title IX, the California Education Code prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex in schools. (California Education Code §§ 220-221.1.) Other state and federal laws also prohibit discrimination and ensure equality in education. Please refer to an overview of all the SBCEO nondiscrimination policies and the following specific policies and procedures regarding sexual harassment.
- Non-Discrimination in Employment – Board Policy 5001
- Non-Discrimination in Employment – Administrative Regulation 5001
- Sexual Harassment (Personnel) – Board Policy 5119.11
- Sexual Harassment (Personnel) – Administrative Regulation 5119.11
- Nondiscrimination and Harassment (Students) – Board Policy 6020
- Nondiscrimination and Harassment (Students) – Administrative Regulation 6020
- Uniform Complaint Procedures – Board Policy 2006
- Uniform Complaint Procedures – Administrative Regulation 2006
- Uniform Complaint Form
- Williams Complaint Procedure – Administrative Regulation 2006.1
- Williams Complaint Form - English
- Williams Complaint Form - Spanish
Information provided here applies to every SBCEO campus and all SBCEO programs and activities.
Employee-Related Title IX Coordinator:
Mari Minjarez Baptista
Assistant Superintendent, Human Resources
(805) 964-4710, ext. 5279
Student-Related Title IX Coordinator:
Assistant Superintendent, Educational Services
(805) 964-4710, ext. 5265