School-Related COVID-19 Information and Resources for Santa Barbara County
Re-opening Santa Barbara County Schools
On September 29, Santa Barbara County moved from the purple tier to the red tier as identified by California’s Blueprint for a Safer Economy. This change will loosen some restrictions for specific industry sectors, and once our county remains in the red tier for two additional weeks, it will mean that all schools will have the opportunity to reopen to in-person instruction as early as October 13.
Some Santa Barbara County schools have already reopened while in the purple tier through the California Department of Public Health’s elementary school waiver process for grades TK-6. Other school districts have been approved to serve limited student groups in small cohorts. Still, other districts have announced or are considering plans for a later reopening toward the end of this calendar year, at the semester break, or when the county moves into the subsequent orange tier.
With health and safety as our top priority, each of our county’s 20 school districts, charter schools, and Santa Barbara County Education Office-operated schools and programs will continue to gather input and plan for reopening in accordance with guidance from the state and local health departments.
Districts and schools may move at different paces as their governing boards carefully consider local factors, including regional COVID-19 data, the size and grade levels of the student body, the ability to physically distance within facilities, transportation, and the health and safety of students and staff.
- Santa Barbara County Public Health Department COVID-19 Portal
- Santa Barbara County Public Health Hotline: 805-681-4373 (recorded information in English and Spanish)
- 211 24/7 phone support in multiple languages, call 211 or 1-800-400-1572
- Foodbank of Santa Barbara County food distribution list (updated 7/23)
State and National COVID-19 Information
Santa Barbara County Public Schools Reopening Status (Last updated Nov. 9)
Please contact the districts/schools directly for specific questions on their reopening plans. Find a list of school districts here.
Note: H = hybrid
IN-PERSON LEARNING (in 2020)
- Ballard School District (H) open for in-person instruction
- Blochman Union School District (H) phased opening: Oct. 13 grade K, Oct. 26 grade 1, Nov. 9 grades 2-3, Nov. 30 grades 4-5, Jan. 11 grades 6-8
- Carpinteria Unified School District (H) elementary schools open for in-person instruction
- Cold Spring School District open for in-person instruction
- College School District phased opening: Nov. 2 grades TK-3, Nov. 16 grades 4-6
- Hope School District (H) phased opening: Nov. 5 grades TK-2, Nov. 16 grades 3-4, Nov. 30 grades 5-6
- Los Olivos School District phased opening: Oct. 19 grades TK-5, Nov. 9 grades 6-8
- Montecito Union School District open for in-person instruction
- Santa Ynez Valley Union High School District (H) opening Nov. 9
- Solvang School District (H) phased opening: Oct. 26 grades TK-1, Nov. 2 grades 2-3 and 8, Nov. 9 grades 4-7
DISTANCE-LEARNING (through 2020)
- Buellton Union School District distance learning for the first semester
- Carpinteria Unified School District (H) grades 6-12 opening Jan. 7
- Cuyama Joint Unified School District (H) opening in January
- Goleta Union School District opening on Jan. 11
- Guadalupe Union School District (H) distance learning for the first semester, tentative return in February
- Lompoc Unified School District (H) opening in two phases by grade span: Jan. 11 elementary, Jan. 25 secondary
- Santa Barbara Unified School District (H) opening on Jan. 19
- Santa Maria Joint Union High School District (H) distance-learning for the first semester
RETURN TO IN-PERSON LEARNING DATE TO BE DETERMINED
- Orcutt Union School District
- Santa Maria-Bonita School District
- Vista del Mar Union School District
CHARTER SCHOOLS *Independent study charter school
- Adelante Charter - Opening for in-person instruction on Jan. 19
- Family Partnership Charter School* – Open
- Manzanita Public Charter - Currently open for in-person instruction
- Olive Grove Charter School* – Open
- Peabody Charter - (H) Phased opening: Dec. 2 grades K-2, Jan.4 grades 3-6
- Santa Barbara Charter School - Opening for in-person instruction in January
- Santa Ynez Valley Charter - Opening for in-person instruction on Nov. 2
- Trivium Charter School* – Open
- FitzGerald Community School - Phasing in with a hybrid model with full in-person learning beginning on December 7
- Los Robles and Dos Puertas High School - Open for in-person instruction
- Our child development programs are all open for either a hybrid or full in-person model.
- Special programs at school sites are following the protocol of the individual districts.