The Santa Barbara County Education Office maintains substitute lists for various programs at locations throughout Santa Barbara County, including Santa Maria, Orcutt, Lompoc, Buellton, Santa Ynez, Santa Barbara, and Cuyama.
Substitutes are most often needed in the following departments or divisions. Click on the link to learn more about the department or division.
To be considered for a Substitute Paraprofessional or Substitute Teaching Assistant assignment, applicants must be at least eighteen (18) years old and have:
- High school diploma or equivalent AND
- 48 college semester units (verified) OR
- Passing score on SBCEO's proficiency examination
NOTE: Clerical substitutes, apply within and inquire for further information.
To be considered for a Substitute Teacher assignment, applicant must have:
- Bachelor's degree AND
- Verification of passing score on CBEST exam or another approved basic skills option as shown here AND
- Eligibility for 30-day substitute permit, OR
- Valid CA teaching credential
NOTE: Child Development applicants only do not require any of the above if they qualify for a Child Development Permit (Associate Teacher or higher). See information here.
Certificated Human Resources Technician
(805) 964-4710, ext. 5258
COVID-19 Substitute Communications:
For SBCEO Substitutes use only: